Hey guys, I’ve been MIA for a while and as some may or may not know, have been travelling! Here are my 7 tips for travelling in Malaysia!
1. Carry your passport. I have been stopped countless times (whether I’m in a personal car or taking a taxi, and almost got arrested once for not having my passport on me!) I argued that it was at the hotel, and I could show him if he would come back but my two options were: pay the officer >.> or go sit in jail for I don’t know how long with other criminals. It’s absolutely ridiculous! And I’ve done my research. Malaysia’s jail isn’t exactly like the Swedish ones where it’s pretty much a holiday resort…
2. Download grabcab/uber. The taxis quote ridiculous prices especially if it’s raining/a tourist area. Even if they run by the meter, they still can rip you off (those meters skip like crazy!)
3. Don’t pay someone to get a taxi for you. There’s plenty on the streets. At KLCC, pavilion etc there is a “taxi service” where you pay them RM2 to call a metered taxi for you. Sounds sweet right? You’re not gonna get ripped off right? WRONG. Not only do you have to pay an extra RM2, these taxis are the most expensive! You’re better off getting ripped off by a red taxi…(the cost will be less).
4. Don’t read food reviews online. I’ve been to many places in Asia thanks to online reviews. But I don’t know if my palate just doesn’t match up with the Malaysian foodies (I love Malaysian food/street food), but the things they recommend are just…bad. Seriously, so many times I’ve found a 4-5 star review to a restaurant and it has gravely disappointed me. So find a reliable source (not just google star review..).
5. If you’re travelling alone, you can take the express train to/from the airport. It’s RM55 p.p. So perfect for one person. If you’re travelling with anybody else, it’s cheaper to take a taxi RM80-100 to get to the city area (and it goes straight to your hotel!)
6. Google maps/Apple maps is horrible here. It might be the confusing road names/ side streets but there have been many times I’ve tried seeking out a restaurant and have gotten completely lost.
7. Lastly, cops can be bribed. Just remember that 😉
Well that’s about it! Good luck and safe travels.